Personal Identity Verification-interoperable ID credentials for federal agencies, government contractors, state and local governments and private sector organizations
SafeNet IDPrime PIV (Personal Identity Verification) card is a FIPS 201 standards-based card for U.S. government agencies, state and local government organizations to issue user credentials that the Federal Government can trust. The same card can be used for either a CIV or PIV-I based deployment depending on company policies and requirements. This smart card provides premium privacy protection through mandatory and optional features of the SP800-73-4 standard. Customers can benefit from enhanced performance and built-in biometric capabilities (On Card Comparison), preparing them for enhanced user authentication.
Uses of PIV
- Based on strong multi-factor PKI authentication, SafeNet IDPrime PIV cards provide proof of cardholder identity that meets U.S. Federal Government standards
- Digitally authenticates users’ identity for main information systems
- Identifies users for a variety of physical access systems
- Digitally signs and encrypts eDocuments, email and files
- Works with Federal Government PIV-based IT infrastructures, and new and legacy physical access control systems
- Biometric fingerprint and iris delivers highest level of identity assurance
- Virtual Contact Interface (VCI) and Pairing code to enhance privacy through contactless interface, for physical access use cases
- PIV Secure Messaging to provide confidentiality and integrity protection to PIV card application
- Biometric Authentication (On Card Comparison), compliant to SP800-76-2, for enhanced user authentication
- Fast contactless authentication with an optimized Power-On-Self-Test mechanism as per the latest FIPS140-2 specifications (CMVP IG 9.11)
PIV Technology and Standards
PIV card technology features a dual interface microprocessor chip for use with contact and contactless smart card readers, making it interoperable and easily adaptable for a wide range of use cases, including physical access authentication. SafeNet IDPrime PIV cards are certified FIPS 140-2, security level 2, FIPS 201-2 and listed on the GSA APL.
PIV and the U.S. Federal Government
Most U.S. federal government employees and subcontractors have a PIV card. Driven by the issuance of Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) in 2004, the U.S. federal government has invested significant effort and resources in implementing robust, interoperable credentialing processes and technologies. The resulting standard, FIPS 201, Personal Identity Verification (PIV) for federal employees and contractors, provides a framework of the policies, processes, and technology required to establish a strong, comprehensive identity credentialing program.
SafeNet IDPrime PIV
SafeNet IDPrime PIV card is based on a Java Card platform (IDCore 3130) with 146 KB EEPROM memory with PIV v3.0 applet loaded.
FIPS140-2 Security level 2, FIPS 201-2, and listed on GSA APL (with the certificate #1510)
• Roles, Services, and Authentication: Level 3
• Hash - SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, SHA-1 Symmetric - AES (128-, 192-, 256-bit)
ISO specification compliance
• ISO 7816 contact interface (T=0 ; T=1)
• Global PIN and local PIN
On-board security algorithms
• Symmetric: AES—For secure messaging and 3DES for Microsoft Challenge/Response only