On January 19, 2022, the White House issued a National Security Memorandum (NSM) to improve the cybersecurity of National Security, Department of Defense, and Intelligence Community Systems. This NSM requires National Security Systems (NSS) to employ the network cybersecurity measures that are equivalent to or exceed those required of federal civilian networks in Executive Order (EO) 140281.
Section 1 of the NSM details the implementation of EO 1428 for NSS and outlines guidance for the:
- Implementation of multifactor authentication
- Implementation of encryption for NSS data-at-rest and data-in-transit
- Application of minimum security standards and controls related to cloud migration and operations
- Adoption of a Zero Trust Architecture
- Transition to quantum resistant encryption
This white paper discusses best security practices associated with the aforementioned key components of the NSM. It additionally details how to implement these best practices with solutions from Thales Trusted Cyber Technologies (TCT).